How to Bypass Ink Cartridge on Epson Printer – 4 Simple Methods
Epson printers are one of the highly efficient printing devices. However, like other printers, they need ink to print any document. In case of low ink in the cartridge, the printer won’t print. If you’ve got another ink cartridge, you can immediately replace it with the previous one. But if you don’t have it, can you trick your printer into printing? You surely can. For that, you need to know how to bypass ink cartridge on Epson printer. Note that you won’t be able to do this time and again, as once the ink in the cartridge fully finishes, there’s no option other than to replace it. Let’s find out the different ways of bypassing the cartridge in your Epson printing device.
- 1 How to Bypass Ink Cartridge on Epson Printer?
- 2 How to Print with Black Ink When There Is No Color Ink?
- 3 Final Thoughts
How to Bypass Ink Cartridge on Epson Printer?
There are various ways to bypass toner cartridges in the Epson printer. All those methods are explained thoroughly below.
1. Bypass Epson Ink out Message in Windows and Mac
Epson printer software shows an out-of-ink error warning when you refill low ink cartridges rather than purchasing new ones. But you can disable this message quickly. Here are the instructions that Windows and Mac users should follow.
- Firstly, fit the cartridge you’ve refilled in your printing device.
- Hit ‘Start‘ on your system that’s present in the left part.
- After that, head over to the ‘Control Panel’ area.
- Now choose the ‘Printers & Faxes’ option in the window that appears.
- Right-tap on the icon of your Epson printer in the window.
- Then tap ‘Preferences‘ in the menu you see.
- Next, hit the ‘Maintenance‘ tab.
- After that, tap the button ‘Speed and Progress’ present at the end of the window.
- Now click the box beside ‘Disable Epson Ink Status Monitor.’ You will find a checkmark appearing in the blank box.
- Hit ‘OK‘ two times. Now you will not notice the out-of-ink message when you begin printing.
- Mac users should first arrange the ink cartridge they’ve refilled in their printing devices.
- Now open a document and hit ‘File‘ followed by ‘Print.’
- Choose your Epson printer from the menu in the window that appears.
- After that, press the ‘Copies and Pages’ tab in the appearing menu.
- Click the button ‘Disable Epson Ink Status Monitor.’
- Then press the button beside it.
- Next, click ‘Save as‘ at the end of the window.
- Input a name for the setting and click ‘Save.’
- The out-of-ink message will be turned off.
2. Bypass the Ink Cartridge by Opening the Printer’s Lid
In this method, you bypass the cartridge by opening the lid when the empty ink cartridge’s ink holder shifts in its position. You can close it but without taking away the cartridge. You can bypass the ink cartridge through this method with those Epson printer models that don’t have a microchip. It’s because the microchip gives an error message to the printer when it has low ink. Due to it, the printer closes, hindering you from printing anything with it.
To know how to bypass cartridge on Epson printer through this method, follow the steps below.
- Open the printer’s cover and hit the ink button.
- When the ink holder goes back to its earlier position, you must open the empty cartridge’s ink.
- Now, close the lid without taking away the cartridge.
- Lastly, close the printer’s cover and print a test document.
3. Shift the Cartridge of the Epson Printer
It is another method to trick your Epson printer into printing when it has low ink. Switch on your printer and follow these pointers.
- After turning on the printer, take away its cover.
- Wait for some time till the carriage is moving back and forth.
- Take out every printer cartridge. Do it by hitting the tabs there at each cartridge’s end. Take away these cartridges by lifting them out.
- Switch off your printer and wait for some time till the device fully shuts down.
- Take away the printer plug from its socket and again wait for some time. This time enables the memory time of the printer to be reset.
- Next, shake all the cartridges for some time. It will evenly redistribute the ink I side them.
- Lastly, hold the cartridges inside your printer. Remember to hold them in the same order as you remove them. Then, you can connect the printer to its power source.
4. Reset Your Ink Cartridge
This is another method you can try. Start by removing the cartridge from your printer. Now, follow the points below.
- After removing the cartridges, check the cartridge’s end with copper contacts.
- Take a paper clip and hit the ‘Reset‘ button using its end.
- After resetting every cartridge, put them in their respective slot.
- Now, you can begin printing.
Also Read How to Change Ink in Epson Printer
How to Print with Black Ink When There Is No Color Ink?
In some Epson printer models, you can temporarily print with black ink when your color ink cartridges are expended. The option is feasible for users with SX420W/SX425W/NX420. The instructions to print temporarily with black ink for Windows and Mac users are explained below.
Windows users can accomplish this by following a series of steps. These are as follows.
- Hit ‘Stop‘ when your Status Monitor 3 prompts you to cancel the print job.
- Load plain sheets and go to the printer’s settings.
- Now go to the main tab and choose the correct quality option setting.
- Choose ‘Plain Papers’ as the ‘Type‘ setting.
- Choose the ‘Grayscale’ checkbox and hit ‘OK.’
- Now print your document.
- When you find the Status Monitor 3 displaying on your screen, hit ‘Print in Black.’
Mac OS X
Only Mac OS X 10.4 or earlier users can use black ink temporarily when their color ink is depleted. Here are the steps to follow.
- Tap the printer icon in your doc. If you find a warning message to cancel the print task, hit ‘Delete.’
- Now go to the Epson Printer Utility 4 dialog box. Hit ‘Driver Settings‘ in the upper part of this window.
- Select the ‘Permit temporary black printing’ checkbox and exit the window.
- Now load plain sheets.
- Go to the Print dialog box.
- Hit the inverted triangle button to expand it.
- Opt for the printer model you are currently using as the setting, and then make appropriate settings.
- Choose ‘Print Settings‘ from the menu.
- Now choose ‘Plain Papers’ as the ‘Media Type’ setting.
- For the color setting, choose ‘Grayscale.’
- Lastly, press ‘Print‘ to exit the dialog box.
If you cannot purchase new ink cartridges at the moment and need to urgently print a document, it’s essential to know how to bypass ink cartridge on Epson printer. Follow these instructions and efficiently print for the time being. If you need additional support with any of the methods described, connect with expert printer technical support services.